4.6.2020 Sheltered Safe in the Arms of God
I feel the touch of hands so kind and tender. They're leading me in the paths that I must trod. I have no fear when Jesus walks beside me For I'm sheltered in the arms of God. So let the storm clouds rage high, The dark clouds rise, They don't worry me; For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God. He walks with me, And naught of earth can harm me, Sheltered safe, within the arms of God. Soon I shall hear the call from heaven's portals. "Come home my child, It's the last mile you must trod." I'll fall asleep And wake in God's new heaven Sheltered safe within the arms of God.
We hear the words every day now: Sheltered at Home. This activity is new to many of us, as we are used to coming and going as we please. We have not had to “stay put” for such a long time—yet I trust God is teaching us valuable concepts through it all. This time is not “wasted days and wasted nights” as the country song goes. It is a precious time to have countless hours to pray, read, meditate, search & receive downloads from the Throne—plus spending times of endearment with family. Here are some scriptures to bolster our assurance:
1. Psalm 27:5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.
2. Psalm 31:19-20 Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men; you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues. 3. Psalm 91:1-4 Those who go to God Most High for safety will be protected by the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “You are my place of safety and protection. You are my God and I trust you.” God will save you from hidden traps and from deadly diseases. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you can hide. His truth will be your shield and protection.
4. Psalm 32:6-8 Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
5. Psalm 46:1-4 God is our protection and our strength. He always helps in times of trouble. So we will not be afraid even if the earth shakes, or the mountains fall into the sea, even if the oceans roar and foam, or the mountains shake at the raging sea. Selah There is a river that brings joy to the city of God, the holy place where God Most High lives. 6. Isaiah 25:4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
8. Psalm 61:3-5 You have been my refuge, a tower of strength against the enemy. I would like to be a guest in your tent forever and to take refuge under the protection of your wings.
Seek the Lord when times get tough.
9. Lamentations 3:57-58 You drew near when I called out to you. You said, “Stop being afraid” Lord, you have defended my cause; you have redeemed my life.
10. 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
11. Prov 29:25 Fear of man will prove to be a snare, whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.
12. Psalm 68:19-20 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign Lord comes escape from (eternal) death.
13. Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Prayer: Abba Father, To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life! What treasure you have for us as we come under your tent—your shelter—these few days until the virus ebbs away & we are safe to roam about again. We take heart in knowing that this tent is mobile as well—it will go with us!
It is interesting that this all happened during our 40 days of Lent---culminating in Passover & Easter! What better time to snuggle in with you & be refreshed by your sweet presence & quieted enough to hear your still, small voice?
Today, we thank you for keeping us safe, hedging us in as you did Job of old. I think of the hymn—“From the rising of the sun until the going down of the same—the Lord’s Name is to be praised!” Anoint us with your Holy Spirit today—fill us to overflowing—oh, how we need to snuggle in your breast, feel your heart beat, receive your love & peace which passes all understanding! Today, we rest complete—safely in the arms of God! In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen